L.Y. Cairns is an Edmonton Public Schools congregated special needs site for Opportunity level Grade 7-12 students. Opportunity level students have a Mild Cognitive Disability which includes academic delays and difficulty managing day to day activities as measured by an adaptive behaviour scale.
Students are identified as Opportunity level within the school system using academic and psychological assessments.
Students with additional disabilities are reviewed on an individual basis, which may include an in-school observation and a file review.
Successful L.Y. Cairns students are able to:
- Independently manage the school program at L.Y. Cairns
- Manage a locker and timetable
- Work independently within a classroom with one teacher and class sizes of 14 up to 20 at the senior high level
- Complete independent, community-based Work Experience at the senior high level
- Maintain behaviour appropriate for these settings
- Communicate appropriately amongst their peers and within their school and community.
It is recommended that parents first discuss schooling options with their child’s current teacher. That teacher may also contact L.Y. Cairns School if they require clarification and further information about eligibility or programming.
If you are interested in being part of our school please contact us
If you would like to find out more about registering your child with Edmonton Public Schools please visit us at www.epsb.ca