Learning through discovery
L.Y. Cairns School is a specialized learning environment for junior and senior high students with a diagnosis of Mild Cognitive Disability. Our success-oriented programs focus on academic, vocational and employ ability skills. Classes allow students to gain skills in all three areas and apply them in their senior high community work experience.
This approach helps students realize their full potential in the classroom, home and
community. We also offer an off-site Transition Support Program to assist
students as they move into the adult world after finishing Year 12.
- Individualized program plan for each student
- Emphasis on literacy and numeracy skills for all students
- Focus on personal and life management skills
- School to work transition
- High school work experience
- Assistive technology
- Knowledge and Employ abilities courses
- Career and Technology classes that include Auto-motives, Cosmetology, Horticulture, Art/Media Communications, Construction, Metals, Commercial Foods and more.